Sony Sewing wanted to improve worker safety, environmental practices and needed help with Vietnamese translation. ECOSS contacted Sony as part of the Grow Seattle program and provided a variety of environmental, health and safety services.
How ECOSS helped:
- Provided spill response training in Vietnamese for workers most
likely to deal with on-site spills, included in the training were a free spill kit and
spill prevention and cleanup plan
- Connected Sony Sewing to a foam recycling company to reduce waste and a voucher program to help pay for a new ventilation system near fume prone shop areas
- Staff received basic first aid training by ECOSS business member, Foss Maritime with ECOSS staff providing translation
Empowered with Sustainable Practices
- Sony Sewing is prepared to respond to a spill and prevent pollution; their
site discharge is connected directly to the Duwamish River
- Working to recycle foam scraps with polyurethane to
reduce garbage waste and save roughly $1,400 a year
- Installed a new ventilation system near their foam cutter to help
protect worker health
The Grow Seattle program is now the City of Seattle Green Business Assistance program.