Equinox “Industrial Strength” Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI) demonstration site improves water quality
ECOSS and Equinox Studios joined forces to develop a first of-its-kind, large-scale industrial GSI demonstration site. The Equinox “Industrial Strength” GSI demonstration site showcases stormwater solutions that can be adopted by any industrial or manufacturing business to improve water quality from rainwater pollution.
ECOSS is collaborating with businesses to install innovative stormwater solutions
ECOSS staff are available to provide businesses in the area with technical and planning support to install rainwater cisterns, rain gardens, Grattixes, oyster barrel cisterns or permeable paving systems. Grant funding is now available for businesses located in the Green-Duwamish valley, with additional funding to support BIPOC or women-owned businesses. Contact ECOSS to learn more and schedule an appointment to discuss your property and stormwater concerns.
ECOSS and Equinox Studios are proud to present several green stormwater infrastructure (GSI) solutions designed specifically for business properties. Below are featured several innovative nature-based solutions that mitigate flooding and stormwater pollution.
- Gardens of Gusto – living wall: A sculptural living wall clears the air and uses roof runoff for summer watering.
- Oyster Barrels: Roof runoff flows through barrels filled with used oyster shells that remove 30-50% of the zinc and other contaminants.
- Grattix Boxes: Roof runoff flows through layers of plants, soil, sand and rock that remove 70-90% of the zinc and other contaminants.
- Permeable Paving: Permeable asphalt, concrete and pavers allow rain to soak through like a sponge, which slows and stops runoff.
- Equibox: This industrial-sized Grattix box filters roof runoff and slowly releases it into a sculptural rain garden.
- Watercycle A’la Equinox (coming soon): A buried cistern, rain garden in a box and a bike-powered watering pump keeps the water flowing.
Contact ECOSS to find out costs and local contractors to hire to build and install on your property: Cari Simson, firstname.lastname@example.org | (206) 234-5102.
You can take a self-guided tour of “industrial-strength” green stormwater infrastructure at Equinox Studios. Here’s a preview of the GSI signs to look out for:
Thank you Aspect Consulting, PureBlue and Equinox Studios for supporting this work.
Additional support for the Equinox GSI project was provided by the Boeing Company, King County Flood Control District, BNSF and the Puget Sound Stewardship and Mitigation fund, a grant making fund created by the Puget Soundkeeper Alliance and administered by the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment. The Port of Seattle provided in-kind contributions of materials.
For more information, or to schedule an Equinox site visit or tour, contact Cari Simson, email@example.com | (206) 234-5102