ECOSS Spill Kits saves businesses money, reduce liability and avoid pollution problems before they start.
Stormwater Pollution Prevention
Many drains from businesses flow directly into a local waterway. If there’s a spill, it’s the business’ responsibility to clean it up. ECOSS provides free spill kits, custom spill plans and training so businesses know how to quickly deal with potentially toxic runoff.
ECOSS prepares more than 1,000 businesses every year on how to deal with spills:
- Delivered spill kits to over 6,300 businesses in 37 cities
- Provided spill response training in multiple languages
- 30 percent of all participating businesses are owned or operated by limited-English speakers
- Spill kit training is offered in more than 15 languages including Korean, Vietnamese, Amharic, Spanish, Mandarin and Somali
Saving Money & Preventing Pollution
- About half of all businesses will have a spill at some point (cleanup costs average $2,700 and fines can exceed $10,000)
- Data shows reduced pollution flowing into Puget Sound and other waterways from trained business
“Our staff are prepared to respond to a spill and understands the importance of protecting our local waterways.” Michael Nguyen, Sony Sewing owner
ECOSS and Seattle Public Utilities developed the Puget Sound Spill Kit program together in 2006. It is generously supported by: